In advance of the winter season, we want to start preparing our community for the possibilities of inclement weather and the options we will examine when facing weather-related challenges.
Delayed Start Option
In July 2019, the Board of Education approved a new delayed start option to be available for use when appropriate during inclement weather days. The delayed start schedule will delay all bus route pickups and school start times by two hours. All schools will operate with a modified bell schedule in which all classes will be held in a shortened timeframe.
|School||Normal Start Bell Time||Delayed Start Bell Time|
|Huntley High School||7:30 a.m.||9:30 a.m.|
|Heineman and Marlowe Middle Schools||7:30 a.m.||9:30 a.m.|
|Martin Elementary School||8:00 a.m.||9:55 a.m.|
|All other elementary schools||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Early Childhood Center||Session 1 will be canceled. Session 2 will run at normal time.|
Rationale & Additional Information
- This option was brought forth in large part due to a particular circumstance we face with the clearing of major roads in our community. In at least two instances during the 2018-19 school year, school was cancelled for circumstances in which a delay of two hours would have sufficed for plows to clear roads and create safe travel conditions for our families and staff.
- This option will be considered ONLY when such circumstances exist that the strong likelihood that dangerous precipitation has ceased and a two-hour delay will create safe conditions for travel.
- When safety is in question, school will be cancelled.
- This decision was driven by feedback we received from the community. In a survey sent to all families in June, 77% of respondents were in favor of the proposal.
- The District continued to examine the possibility of e-learning days instead of cancellations for future years. However, due to concerns with quality of learning and equity for all students we will not be pursuing e-learning days as an option 2019-20 school year.
- The District will aim to communicate a decision regarding the status of school by 5:30 a.m.
- Cancellation and delayed start decisions will be communicated via phone, text, and email according to the preferences set up in your student’s PowerSchool account, as well as the District website.
Click here to download the Delayed Start Option information as a PDF.
Click here to view additional FAQ about how we handle inclement weather decisions.