Dear D158 families:
During the expected heat wave on Wednesday, August 23 and Thursday, August 24, I wanted to make you aware of our plans for keeping students and staff safe and comfortable. Huntley 158 is fortunate to have air conditioning in all of our school buildings so, thankfully, there will be minimal disruption to our instructional day. Please see below for some additional, precautionary measures we will be taking this week to ensure safety:
- Elementary and middle school recess and PE will be held indoors.
- Middle school athletic practices will be held indoors.
- Fans will be added in specific areas of buildings for enhanced circulation as needed.
- Early Childhood motor time will be held indoors.
- To limit the amount of time students spend outdoors and on buses, students will be kept indoors until their bus arrives in the afternoon and will immediately exit school buses when they arrive at school in the morning.
- High school athletic practices will adhere to IHSA guidelines and coaches will notify impacted athletes and families of changes. Precautionary measures include: modification of practice times and duration; multiple water breaks and rest periods; movement of practices indoors if needed; cancellation and relocation of games/contests to utilize air-conditioned venues
We recommend you send a water bottle to school with your student so they can stay hydrated throughout the day. Schools have water refill stations and students are able to refill as needed. Should your child not feel well during the day, please encourage them to let their teacher or another staff member know so they can assist.
We appreciate your partnership as we ride out the heat wave together these next few days!
Jessica Lombard, Ed.S.