District 158 understands that a strong partnership with parents best supports student achievement. The Special Services Department has a Family Engagement Liaison to create stronger relationships with families. The Family Engagement Liaison is a support to families in providing education on topics related to special education.
Imparting knowledge equips parents and students with stronger self-advocacy skills. The role of the Family Engagement Liaison is to foster trust between special service families and school personnel and assists families in working through concerns with a team. The Family Engagement Liaison role is to promote inclusive community mindset working collaboratively with both staff and special service families.
- Provide training on various topics related to special education or parenting a child with a disability
- Partnering to equip parents in the IEP process
- Helping parents navigate transitions
- Problem solve with families as they address concerns
- Connect families with various resources/agencies in the community
- Encourages meaningful opportunities for parent involvement of students in special services in their schools