Welcome to the 2022-23 school year! Please see the updates below to learn about what is NEW! in Huntley 158 as we gear up for the first day of school.
NEW! Student Helpline in Partnership with SmartSocial
This spring and summer, our safety and security team has partnered with SmartSocial to modernize and improve communication concerning student safety. Through this partnership, we have developed Huntley 158’s first-of-its-kind Student Helpline, formerly known as the district’s Tipline. Based on feedback from our families, this channel has been customized to meet the needs of our students and school community. In order to better serve 21st century students, our Helpline prioritizes two-way communication between staff and students to enhance our ability to assist students when reporting and responding to instances of bullying, mental health concerns and unsafe situations.
The district has crafted four unique phone numbers, which can be found at huntley158.org here and will be advertised using QR codes across our buildings. By contacting one of the numbers listed below, students will be able to reach a trusted staff member or administrator in real time via text message. This platform has been created to ensure students’ privacy and allow for a dialogue between students and staff. We hope this platform will continue to enhance the resources at our students’ fingertips to prioritize safety in school. When using Huntley 158’s Student Helpline, we want students and parents to know that help is just a text away.
- District & Elementary Schools: Grades PreK-5 | (815) 889-0584
- Huntley High School: Grades 9-12 | (815) 889-0575
- Marlowe Middle School: Grades 6-8 | (815) 889-0576
- Heineman Middle School: Grades 6-8 | (815) 889-0583
NEW! Schoology Reminder for Secondary (6-12) Families
We’d like to remind you that Huntley 158 will be moving our learning management system, which you may know as PowerSchool Learning or Haiku. Huntley 158 will be moving to Schoology Learning for all secondary students in grades 6-12 as we begin the 2022-23 school year. Similar to PowerSchool Learning (Haiku), Schoology is a Learning Management System designed for K-12 schools to house students’ courses, upcoming assignments and due dates, calendars, and groups students belong to for clubs, activities, and athletics.
Students can access Schoology via ClassLink on their 1:1 device (chromebook) or by going to huntley158.schoology.com. Students can sign in using their [email protected] email account. Students will be automatically enrolled in courses based on their schedule in PowerSchool. Parents can expect to receive log in instructions and a unique access code for EACH student the week of August 15, 2022 before we return to school. Log-in information and links will be made available at huntley158.org on this date, as well. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this platform and your access to Schoology, please email [email protected]
Return to School Mitigations & Decision Making Framework
Last year, Huntley 158’s Board of Education approved a comprehensive decision making model last March which allows our level of mitigations to be locally controlled. This framework accounts for factors such as in-district positivity rate, community transmission, strain on the healthcare system and strain on schools. Based on this, the following revised mitigations will be present in our schools to begin the 2022-23 school year:
- Masking: Masks are not required for students or staff. However, masks will be expected to be worn while visiting the health office.
- Hand Hygiene: Hand sanitizing stations remain available in every room in the district. Proper hand washing will be encouraged throughout the day.
- Isolation of Positive Cases: Procedures for isolation of a positive case of COVID-19 remains the same.
- Positive cases isolate for 5 days
- On days 6-10, masks are expected to be worn while in school.
- On days 6-10, students will eat lunch in a designated area where 6 feet of separation can be maintained.
- Voluntary SHIELD Testing: FREE weekly testing will be available for students and staff who Opt In to our testing program. Testing will be available on Wednesdays at Martin Elementary School from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Take home tests will also be available to all interested students and staff to be dropped off at Martin on Wednesdays from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- BinaxNOW tests can be used in our health services offices for symptomatic individuals who choose to test.
- Cleaning & Disinfecting: Routine cleaning and disinfecting of high touch surfaces is performed in all buildings.
- Most importantly, students and staff should stay home when they feel sick and communicate positive cases to the school nurse.
OPT IN TO TESTING: For families who may be interested in the option to test weekly for free, please complete this electronic Opt-In form for the 2022-23 school year for EACH student. Upon completion, your student(s) will be added to our rosters for voluntary testing each Wednesday at Martin Elementary School.
Please find Dr. Rowe’s Return to School Update here for more details on our mitigations, a revised structure for communicating positive cases in the school community and limited remote learning scenarios for students. These details and other important elements of Huntley 158’s approach to health and safety in our buildings can also be found at huntley158.org
Health Services Reminder
As a reminder, any student entering Kindergarten, 2nd, 6th, 9th, or 12th grade must submit required health documents, as required by Illinois School Code and Huntley 158’s school policy in order for a student to attend school.
Families will need to provide the following documentation for their student by the first day of student attendance on Wednesday, August 17, 2022. Huntley 158 has a first day exclusion policy, which means that students must be excluded from school if they have not provided the necessary documentation to our health services offices. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance that will prevent you from meeting that deadline, please reach out to your building nurse to discuss possible options as soon as possible.
- Kindergarten Students: Physical exam, up to date immunizations, dental exam, and eye exam
- Second Grade Students: Dental exam
- Sixth Grade Students: Physical exam, up to date immunizations, and dental exam
- Ninth Grade Students: Physical exam and dental exam
- Twelfth Grade Students: Up to date immunizations
Required immunizations can be found on the Health Services page at huntley158.org. Completed health documents can be emailed to your students’ school health office, dropped off, or mailed to your students’ school.
Upcoming Dates & Back to School Events
- Freshmen Raider Rally at HHS | August 12, 2022
- Elementary Open House Night | August 15, 2022
- 6th Grade Open House Night | August 15, 2022
- First Day of School (Grades 1-12) | August 17, 2022
- First Day of School (ECC & Kindergarten) | August 18, 2022
- 7th & 8th Grade Open House Night| August 25, 2022
- Back to School Night at HHS | August 30, 2022
Access a full district calendar at huntley158.org/events.
As always, thank you for your attention and the excitement you’ve shared to begin a new year in Huntley 158. We cannot wait to welcome our students back on August 17 and 18.
It’s going to be a great year!