Huntley 158 launched our weekly SHEILD COVID-19 testing program on August 30, 2021. During the 2022-23 school year, testing is voluntary and available to all students on an Opt In basis. Huntley 158 offers a weekly testing location at Martin Elementary School every Wednesday after school. This will begin in early September and those families who opt in will receive more details on our testing program. Take home tests will also be available to all interested students and staff to be dropped off at Martin on Wednesdays after school. BinaxNOW tests can be used in our health services offices for symptomatic individuals who choose to test.
Learn more about the SHIELD testing option:
- The SHIELD test is a free, non-invasive diagnostic test for the COVID-19 virus conducted by collecting a saliva (spit) deposit in under five minutes, which provides results in 24 hours.
- SHIELD testing was developed at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and has a sensitivity rate of 97% and an accuracy rate of 99%.
- Individuals should not eat, drink or chew gum within 60 minutes of providing a saliva sample.
- Families will be notified of any positive test results directly by the 3rd party vendor.
- Students’ participation in this program will limit potential quarantine situations and allow students to safely remain in an in-person learning environment.